Getting a job as a deck builder is an awesome idea for those who like working with their hands. And, if you are thinking of becoming one, we are striving to tell you about what to expect and what the advantages of this job are!
The Very Beginning: What Does a Deck Builder Do?
A deck builder is a carpenter involved in building outside decks. Interacting with the clients and making decisions regarding the timing and specific details about the future deck is a vital part of this profession.
Besides, here are the tasks a deck builder deals with on a regular basis:
- Procuring the lumber;
- Measuring and cutting necessary materials;
- Creating the deck’s framing;
- Polishing the deck;
- Making sure the construction is safe enough.
In order to become a professional deck builder, it is essential to develop such skills as:
- Being able to read plans and blueprints;
- Cutting lumber just perfectly;
- Solving any issues that might take place when dealing with the deck;
- Being capable to work with a whole variety of tools;
- Ability to finish the project within the deadline.
What is more, it is necessary to be able to work with your future and current customers. Otherwise, it will be hard to become a demanded expert. And, the more experience you have, the more clients you are about to serve! A good Kansas City deck builder is a person who is able to analyze the demands of the consumers and do his best to make their dreams of the ideal deck or patio come true.
You are likely to be looking at the matter discussed in a more global way. What if you are thinking of starting your own deck-building business? We’ll deal with this below.
The Sequence of Actions to Start a Deck Building Business
It is so important to behave right when trying to arrange any kind of business! And deck-building sphere is not an exception either. Stick to the list of activities given below and you will surely succeed:
- Start with thorough planning. It should include what results you plan to achieve and how you see your future business in general. The higher your expectations are, the more you can achieve!
- Get some info about the competitors. Highlight their strong and weak sides and features. It will help you to move forward and get closer to the real leaders on the market of deck building in the area you are interested in;
- Prepare to do everything legally. Learn all the peculiarities about the regulations and requirements you have to meet. What is more, it is necessary to get the insurance, license, and proper certifications;
- Come up with a name for your brand and make a website. This will simplify the way the clients will be able to reach and contact you.
What you also need to do is to determine the budget you plan to involve to open this kind of business. Here is what you need the money for:
- Tools and equipment that will be used for building decks and patios (pneumatic nail guns, routers, screw guns, jigsaws, and so on);
- A warehouse. This is a spot where all of the vital stuff will be stored. It is hard to imagine a successful business without it. Sure, when you are at the stage of the very beginning, you might not have too much space to deal with. But it is reasonable that you will need more of it as your business grows and progresses;
- Transport. If you plan to work in the areas far away from where you are, you will surely need several trucks or vans to help your employees to move around.
How Much Can You Earn as a Result of Being a Deck Builder?
It is obvious that at the very beginning, your services won’t cost much. The average figure is about $100-150 per square foot though. Deck building may cost more or less depending on the request of the client too.
Gain more experience, and your services will be demanded and will cost quite a lot!
Do you want to become an independent deck builder or start your own business soon?